- Lifestyle – Looking for an Online Marketing Manager or Translator English-French-German-Chinese-Indian-Spanish-Russian?
- Lifestyle – Look at the Aurora Borealis on Google Maps – Street View
- Lifestyle – Alibaba and Zalando are quoted on the Stock Exchange. The two stars of E-Commerce.
- Lifestyle – 1.2 billion subscribers in Facebook: 26 million have Italians
- Lifestyle – Expedia penalized by Google for a campaign of “negative SEO”?
- Lifestyle – Skype: + 36% of calls in 2013. Total: 214 billion minutes of phone calls
- Lifestyle – Alibaba has a higher capitalization to: eBay, Twitter and LinkedIn combined!
- Lifestyle – Istat: Italy 60% of households connected to the Internet
- Lifestyle – Google has the world monopoly of online searches. Germany asks the algorithm
- Lifestyle – WhatsApp against Skype: getting ready for voice calls
The news was announced, a few hours, by USA Today.
According to the magazine, it also may have been hit by a campaign of “negative SEO”, to increase their ranking on the list of travel sites on Google searches.
This was stated by an analysis carried out by the Searchmetrics company that discovered the problems.
The Expedia web site has lost 25% of its visibility in Google between January 12, 2014 and January 19, 2014, after they have been identified massive SEO actions to increase your online traffic through paid links activities from other sites.
The main techniques used to increase the visibility of Expedia, were so “crude” that it would be surprising if the company alone had been responsible for the link building scheme carried out in a “massive” in such a short time.
According Tober are assumed 3 roads:
1) it also could have used the artificial link building techniques, years ago, and the company has forgotten that they did and left the text links “artificial” on the web that have been identified by the latest Google algorithm updates (not Google always communicates its updates to its algorithm – ed)
2) Any department within Expedia, or an outside company, web agency, are still using these older techniques, given that Expedia is a great company, with many SEO, and various teams working with different web agency, so it is possible that an internal department to Expedia is the manager.
3) An Expedia competitor has built these text links in the past, in the course of a long period of time, to make out Expedia. This strategy, known as “negative SEO”, has become more common in recent years.
Dave McNamee, a spokesman for Expedia, declined to comment.
Whatever the reason, the Google ranking of Expedia in important research results through traveling was hit hard. For example, in a Google search using the word “hotel” the Expedia site has not appeared in any of the front pages of results, whereas in the past, the expedia.com website would look at number 3 on the first page of Google according Tober.
According to the analysis of Searchmetrics, the word “hotel” was used more than 15,000 times in an “anchor text” on many websites to create text links to the main site Expedia.
What it is even more suspicious is that the color used for these text links is white on a white background, so the majority of visitors to the site would not see the words and text links.
This is one of about 10 years outdated SEO technique ago, said Tober.
All these elements support the contention that the episode Expedia on Google may have been caused by “negative SEO”.